Cross-Belt Sorter – Horizontal Technical Details:
The Cross-Belt or Loop Sorter is comprised of a chain of cross-belt conveyors riding on a looped track in a 90-degree orientation to the direction of the sorter’s flow. Each conveyor acts as a carrier for an item being sorted, which can be discharged to either side of the conveyor. This configuration makes the Cross-Belt Sorter a highly efficient mechanism, requiring minimal space for parcel discharge. Cross-belts are mechanically driven and modularly designed, making them easy to maintain and highly adaptable to future growth demands.
Horizontal Cross-Belt Sorters enable the re-circulation of goods that have either not been recognized by the bar code ID scanner or discharged because of full sortation destinations.
When a carrier reaches its discharge point, the motion of the sorter is converted into driving the cross-belt: a pneumatically actuated paddle engages a drive wheel mounted beneath the carrier belt, which triggers the belt to smoothly and gently discharge it’s load. The entire system is run via a single high efficiency, direct drive motor/gearbox which reduces energy consumption compared to linear motor driven sorters.
These loop sorters also make it possible to service several sortation areas with just one sortation cycle. The accuracy and efficiency of the Horizontal Cross-Belt Sorter (aka Loop Sorter) allows for a rapid return of investment of generally 2 – 3 years.
Notable features and capabilities of the Cross-Belt Sorter – Horizontal:
- Sorts up to 12,000 cartons per hour, but multiple operational areas can utilize a single sorter enabling virtually unlimited sorting rates.
- Wide range of handling capacity from a fraction of a pound to 80lbs of mixed sizes and shapes up to 48 inches in length, including cartons, totes, packages, food packaging, polybags, letters, padded envelopes, garments, multimedia, shrink wrapped goods, and fragile products.
- High throughput sorting capacity.
- Highly versatile and accurate sortation.
- Flexible integration into in small or challenging spaces and existing layouts.
- Parcels can be fed or discharged from either side of conveyor.
- Items can be sorted into bins, sacks, totes, cartons, and more.
- Parcels maintain orientation during sorting.
- Pre-assembled modular design combined with mechanically driven belts are easily maintained as well as highly adaptable to future growth.
- High operational availability.
- Low noise: Carriers run on quiet polyurethane-encased rollers and rubber drive chain.
- System runs on single high efficiency, direct drive motor/gearbox.
- Low operating costs.